We meet at 11:30AM on the 3rd Sunday of each month, except 2nd Sunday June and December.
Each Meeting consists of a business meeting, followed by a "show and tell" with members showing off their latest finds, or a talk is given on some aspect of collecting or restoration. Some meetings include a small auction of donated items.
Parking Lot Flea Market:
Each month, members gather before the meeting for buying and selling in the parking lot.
- From I-5 northbound, take the 220th St exit, turn right and go about four blocks to the school, and turn left on 52nd. Go down the hill and under the freeway. The building is on the corner of 206th and 52nd.
- From I5 southbound, take the 196th Street SW exit going west. Stay on 196th until you get to 50th Ave. West. Turn left. This turns into Cedar Valley Road which will take you to the Grange.
- From Highway 99 northbound, turn right on 208th St SW, then turn left on 52nd Ave. W., and the building will be on the corner at 205th St SW to your left.
- From Highway 99 southbound, turn left on 200th St SW, then right at Cedar Valley Road. The building will be at the corner of 205th St SW on your right. New Location:
Cedar Valley Grange
20526 52nd Ave. W
2017 MEETING DATES:
JANUARY 15, 2017 - BEST RADIO MONTH
Members bring in the best radio in their collection, based on rarity, restoration, etc.
FEBRUARY 19, 2017 - BOAT ANCHORS
Members bring in any radio thst qualifies either based on its weight, or inherent ability to be used as a boat anchor.
MARCH 19, 2017 - PORTABLE & TUBE RADIOS (DIRECTORY DISTRIBUTION)
Annual directories will be distributed. Members bring in their favorite portable and tube radio for show and tell.
APRIL 16, 2017 - ANNUAL AUCTION (CLUB DONATION OR SELL)
Members bring in radios or other related items for sale or donation. Members must donate 10% of proceeds for sale items. All donated items proceeds go to support the activities of the club.
MAY 21, 2017 - WORST RADIO MONTH
Members bring in the worst radio in their collection based on poor engineering, disaterous restoration, etc.
JUNE 11, 2017 - FAVORITE RADIO MONTH (SECOND SUNDAY)
Members bring in their favorite radio based on ease of restoration, sentimental value, etc.
JULY 16, 2017 - ABRAHAM WHITE AWARD
The annual PSARA Abraham White Award is presented to the member who, through extreme negotiating skills, blind luck, being in the right place at the right time, or a combination of all three, crossed all bounds of common decency by taking some poor unsuspecting seller to the cleaners and ended up paying such an obscenely low piece for a rare, valuable, or otherwise collectable radio that he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself (though it’s a safe bet he’s not) and truly deserves to have his likeness displayed on a post office wall somewhere.
The award is named for the Executive Investment Director of DeForest International who, at the turn of the 20th century was by all accounts, an 18-carat con artist with the ethics of a praying mantis. He nearly ran the company into the ground while enriching himself by bilking hapless investors out of their eye-teeth.
· The contest is open to all PSARA members, who may nominate any member they choose (including themselves), regardless of whether or not they were involved in the transaction(s).
· Each nomination may include descriptions of up to three transactions conducted by the nominee within the last two years which resulted in the acquisition of a vintage radio, preferably from a non-member individual or business. Descriptions should include the make, model, relative value (per recognized pricing guide) and general condition of the radio(s) as well as price paid and any other relevant facts.
· Pictures are desirable but not required.
· Nominees may only win once per transaction.
· Descriptions should be accurate (no exaggerations or “fish paper” stories, please) and the nominee shall verify all descriptions.
· Descriptions should not include the actual identity of the poor sap who was robbed; after all, they have been humiliated enough already. Besides, they may still have more radios.
· Nominations submitted by mail should be sent to the club’s regular address and must arrive in time for the July meeting.
· Voting will take place via paper or voice vote (members decide) at the July 2013 meeting with the winner receiving an award certificate adorned with a genuine ‘cheap tin’ seal.
Reprinted with thanks to Steve Billings
AUGUST 20, 2017 - ANNUAL SWAP MEET AT SHORELINE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Campus is closed 10:00pm to 6:00am everday. Sellers lot opens at 6:00 a.m. $15 for each buyer space which includes two parking spaces (One for the vehicle and one for the sellers tables). Public hours are 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. A food truck will be offering beverages and snacks for sale.
SEPTEMBER 17, 2017 - ELECTION OF OFFICERSAnnual Election of Officers. Help Support Your Club and volunteer for an officer position.
OCTOBER 15, 2017 - REPAIR SEMINAR (BRING YOUR TROUBLE RADIO FOR ASSISTANCE)
Members with radio repair expertise will be on hand to troubleshoot problem radios and offer rapair and restoration advice. One radio per member please.
NOVEMBER 19, 2017 - ANNUAL RADIO SHOW & CONTEST
A. Crystal Sets
B. Battery Sets
C. A.C. Wood - Pre 1945
D. A.C. Wood - 1945 and up
E. A.C. Metal
F. A.C. Plastic
G. Ham, Military and Communications Receivers
J. Vacuum Tube Portables
K. Miscellaneous Hardware, Mikes, etc.
L. Signs, Ads, Documents, Books, Printed Material
N. Mirrored Sets
O. Console Radios
The annual radio contest is held the third Sunday of November. Entries may be checked in from 9:45 AM to 11:15 AM. Enter in as many categories as you like, but no more than one entry per category. Previous 1st place winners may not be entered.
Voting begins at 11:30 AM and closes at 1:00 PM. Each current member may receive a ballot. Voters will indicate their choices for first, second and third in each category by writing the entry numbers (i.e. A9, B12, C6 etc.) on their ballots. An additional vote should be cast for best of show on the ballot.
First, second, and third place votes will be tallied respectively as three, two and one points. Points for best of show will be tallied as one point. Results will be announced as soon as votes are tallied. Ribbons will will be awarded at the December meeting, and in the case of ties, multiple ribbons will be awarded.
The contest includes radios, vintage televisions, and associated items only. No photographs or other non-radio related items.
DECEMBER 10, 2017 - CONTEST RIBBONS AWARDED (SECOND SUNDAY)